We’ll all be watching more closely what we look like in our online meetings thanks to a presentation on June 4 by Jo Puplett of Elevate Your Look.
The presentation, How To Look Your Best Online, was well attended with women dialling in from Port Germein, Mannum, Murray Bridge, Victor Harbor, Port Hughes, Clare, Adelaide’s Southern Suburbs, Mount Barker and Goolwa.
Jo says, “First impressions count,” and you may only get seconds to give others insight into who you are, so you have to do it right.
Among the issues covered during the session were:
- How to get the lighting right, with natural lighting preferred over artificial;
- Making sure the angle is right, and that you’re speaking into the camera, rather than to the side;
- Putting a note on the door to tell others you’re online and not to disturb … no-one wants to see a half-naked spouse walk past, or for you to be interrupted or distracted;
- Ensure you dress right, at least on the top half;
- Choose plain colours, rather than busy patterns;
- Adjust your makeup to suit the lighting, so it may need to be darker than usual;
- Consider your body language as it’s not just about your face when communicating;
- Drink water from a glass rather than a cumbersome water bottle;
- Allow plenty of time to check on your technology before the meeting starts.
Much discussion took place about backgrounds. Although Zoom does give opportunity to have a virtual background, and you can choose photos of your own or those Zoom provides, sometimes the background doesn’t work properly, so make sure the Plan B is appropriate.
Jo pointed out that Zoom has a test meeting function which can be accessed at the bottom of the website zoom.us so you can check everything works and you’re looking good before your meeting starts.
A handy checklist was also provided to those online who were preparing to host a Zoom meeting or webinar for themselves.
Jo Puplett is a foundation member of the Women in Business Regional Network and is a Personal Stylist & Image Consultant.
If you’d like to find out more about how to look good online, or even face-to-face, contact her on 0478 292 138, email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can visit her website www.elevateyourlook.com.au for more information.