A brewery may have been traditionally the realm of men, but Kate Henning of Smiling Samoyed Brewery in Myponga is out to change that.
Kate is our first member from Myponga and we hope to be able to have a function or two at her gorgeous brewery in the future.
Business Name: Smiling Samoyed Brewery
Phone: 08 8558 6166
Address: 48 Main South Road, Myponga SA 5202
What does your business do?: Manufactures beer and operates a co-located hospitality and tourism venue. Our beers are sold wholesale and retail.
What area do you serve?: Metropolitan Adelaide, Fleurieu Peninsula and Adelaide Hills
How long have you been in business?: 6 years
Did you found the business?: Yes
Up to 5 dot points about your business journey (eg you might include your pre-business background):
- My husband and I started Smiling Samoyed Brewery after our home brewing hobby got out of control.
- Starting as the sole employees of the business we have done every role within the business but are now very fortunate to employ over 20 people who share the workload with us.
- The beers we produce have achieved critical and commercial success with highlights being twice awarded Most Outstanding Beer in Show at the Adelaide Beer and Cider Awards and being the current Champion Small Brewery in the awards.
- The brewery is named after our Samoyed dogs.
- We are proud to call the Fleurieu Peninsula and Myponga home and to be bringing tourism and employment to our area.
Name two things you’ve learned from your business journey
- Human Resources will be the greatest challenge.
- Spending time on working on the business to establish your goals is time well spent.
Why did you join the Women in Business Network?: Great to have a network who experience the same pressures as I do as a business owner.
Relevant social media links: