Many in the network are mothers or carers or children with disabilities or learning challenges. Among our membership we have several women who assist in this space and one is Kathryn Roberts of AB Consultancy in Victor Harbor.
You can read her profile below:
Name: Kathryn Roberts
Business Name: AB Consultancy
Phone: 8552 3760
Address: 2/6 George Main Road Victor Harbor (mobile services available)
Area Served: Southern Fleurieu
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.abconsultancy.co
What do I do?– AB Consultancy provides individual supports to children along the South Coast who need a helping hand with their learning and emotional development. AB Consultancy is registered to provide supports for children receiving funding under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) through Early Intervention.
AB Consultancy also specialises in Disabilities focusing on Behaviour Supports, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Auditory Processing Disorder and Trauma Supports. AB Consultancy also provides Support Workers for life skills with accessing the community and also working as Mentors for children accessing NDIS services. We also work with private clients with and without disabilities in the areas of trauma and academic supports.
AB Consultancy also works with Siblings Australia Inc. to support Siblings growing up with a brother or sister with a disability. All children have their own specific learning goals that meet the needs of the child which are regularly reviewed to ensure best practice.
Appointments are scheduled where the need is greatest and can be at our office, in your home or at your child’s school if this is permitted.
Founded: In 2016 I opened the doors for AB Consultancy after building professional frustration that the education system confined me with in regard to supporting the ‘Whole Child’. I also went back to university to gain my Masters in Social Work to further support my clients and my new business. This has allowed to work extremely closely with my families and develop programs they need rather than trying to fit children into a box that doesn’t work for them.
Up to 5 dot points about your business journey:
- AB Consultancy is based on Individual Strengths and Trauma Support Therapy
- AB Consultancy works in conjunction with many service providers along the South Coast to support children’s best interests so they reach their potential
- AB Consultancy now provides Support Workers for social skills and Mentor supports
- My previous background is in disability as a specialist disability teacher within the South Australian Education Department where I specialised in working with children who had multi disabilities
- Being born in Victor Harbor and supporting my brother with Down Syndrome for many years allows me to understand the needs of a regional town and also the battles that we face within disability
Name two things you’ve learned from your business journey:
- That small business allows you to create personalised and unique business structures to support specific clientele
- That small business is extremely hard work but the rewards are immeasurable.
Why did you join the Women in Business Network? To gain professional knowledge that will improve my business and use to use best practice throughout.